Tuesday, August 19, 2014

St. Patty's Day - An Explanation

13254928385_d56f484186(1)March 9, 2014

I feel I must explain.  It’s not that I hate St. Patrick’s Day.  I don’t.  Really.   I may or may not be of Irish heritage (or maybe I am), but truthfully, despite having access to my ancestry, both of my parents have been here since the 1600′s, so I am not sure where Ireland fits into my gene pool.

 With that said, I LOVE all things Irish.  We frequently have Irish music playing in our home.  I am drawn to shamrocks, leprauchans, and Irish stories of mystery and magic.

But, I am many years away from going out for green beer and all of the things that come with SPD.  And, as an adult, I looked into the deeper spiritual significance of this highly celebrated day and realized it is not in alignment with my own spiritual journey.  It was, however, in seeing from a parent’s point of view and from the point of view as someone who is saddened by the continuous consumerization (that’s a word, right?) of EVERYTHING that I took a stand.  It seems I am not alone.

I could rant right here about why I became very frustrated with this very green holiday, but I read a great article in the Huffington post that said it so succinctly.  Read on, friends, and leave the green to those with real Irish heritage.  When all is said and done, I leave you with what I find so beautiful about Irish traditions in the form of a blessing for you.

No comments: