Wednesday, December 2, 2009

the Buddhist Temple in Guiyang

I think...okay, I know....my favorite this thusfar has been visiting the Buddhis temple in Guiyang.  We were so sad we did not have more time on this excursion as it was the best for our entire trip.  Our guide and driver too us to Liang Park.  This park is a natural sanctuary that is capped with a very old Buddhist temple.  We drove through and out of the city and eventually hit a little (I mean little) dirt road through an old part of town (that is very much lived in).  We finally came to the sanctuary which was such a stark contrast to the rest of the city.  There was a man made resevoir which provided much of the drinking water to the city at the base of the mountain.  It was obvious that the area was untouched and was a lush area filled with incredible greenery. 

One of the special things about the park was the monkeys that were indigenous to the area.  They come out in the morning when the park is busiest with morning excercisers and tourists.  We took several photos of the monkeys as you can see! 

After visiting the monkeys, we journeyed up to the temple which was very beautiful.  I won't say much about the temple, as our time there was filled with peace and joy as well as sadness.  If you want to know what I mean, you can ask me, but I will not say here. 

I will say this, the monks were singing while we were there and no matter what tradition it is from, there is nothing more beautiful and peaceful than listening to monks sing praises to their higher power.

We are so blessed to have made this special visit.

2 comments:

patti s said...

Hi, I happened upon your blog today and was thrilled. My baby, 24 year old son, is in the peace corps in Guiyang. I love anything I can find to get more of a picture of his life there. Let me assure you that the part of guiyang you saw was the plush just for westerners part. Where he is ? he is the only person around speaking english. I would love to chat more with you but this seems so public. Let me know if you would like to email at all. Patti

Yoli said...

Lovely, as a Buddhist I would love to visit there.