Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Cinnamon Breakfast Rolls

If you've read through my GF page you'll see that I keep a few mixes on hands for emergencies or when a recipe calls for it.  I don't use them often but they help me mix things up a bit.  Get it?  Mix things up?  Once or twice a year I make Cinnamon Breakfast Rolls for the family.  To be honest, I don't really eat them myself as I'm not a huge sweets fan, but they needs something different occasionally and this fits the bill.

I found this recipe in one of my trusty Southern Living cookbooks, which are truly the only cookbooks I ever need.  This particular one is called "Cooking for Christmas" and this recipe has been a real hit in our home.  You can also find the recipe online at My Recipes which I do find myself visiting when looking for something specific.  Remember that I said in the past to not be afraid to substitute?  Well, don't.



For this recipe I substituted Bob's Red Mill vanilla cake mix which I purchased at Big Lots (yep, Big Lots) for a ridiculously low price and Pamela's Artisan Flour.  Also, I cut the flour portion down to 4.5 cups instead of 5.  I actually think we could have done 4 cups and been fine.  This recipe does not really rise like it does when you use regular wheat flour, so don't be disappointed!  I promise, they taste great regardless of whether they have risen or not. 



This is a make-ahead and chill recipe.  We made enough to make two pans full and have had them two mornings in a row.  If you walk into my house right now you'll smell fresh coffee and yeasty cinnamon rolls which are cooking right now in the oven.  Mmmm.......

No comments: