Friday, May 16, 2008

Blog Posts from 2005

Ostara and Easter

Originally Published in Spring 2005

Hello once again. Is it just me or is everyone glad to moving away from Mercury retrograde? My astrologer tells me we are not out of the woods yet, but soon, soon we will be! The past few weeks have seen a flurry of exhausting activity around our home as we prepared for and celebrated Ostara and one week later, Easter. Yes, we celebrate both holidays. To be honest, I would be more than happy to teach Noah that the little bunny bringing chocolates comes on the Spring Equinox, but in honor of my husband and his desire that we bring Noah up in the some of the traditions that we grew up in, the bunny comes on Easter.

Easter or Ostara, years such as this one when they come so close together, I am reminded that it makes really no difference to me. Though the Oak King is reborn at Yule or around the time of Christ's birthday, Ostara is the astrological beginning of the new solor year as the sun enters Aries - the first sign of the zodiac. What does all of this mean? Well, it seems fitting that while Christ's birth coincides with Yule or the rebirth of the Oak King (Christ), that it is equally fitting that his resurrection coincides with the resurrection or rebirth of the new solar year. At Ostara I talk to Noah about Mother Earth and how she is awaking to bring abundance to her inhabitants. While at Easter, I have a chance to teach Noah about Christ and his work as an Ascended Master and his part of the archetypal energy that we see cyclically here on the Earth. This week, I will share the activities of my family during this sacred time of the year.... Ostara, Easter, Solar Rebirth, the turning of the wheel.

Happy Oestre to you and your family.

Ostara 2005

OstaraI love throwing parties. Ostara is no exception to that. This year, with my soul sister Charity, we put together a fun for Ostara celebration complete with a "Waking Up the Earth" ceremony. But, we'll get to that. In putting together such a large party, it was very helpful to plan it with Charity. In essence, she handled all of the pomp and circumstance and I handled the feast. We both like it that way. It allows each of us to use our unique talents. Once all of the party go-ers arrived, I built a fire in the living room, as it was a rather chilly day. Charity gathered all of the children (9 of them) in a circle in front of the fire and read "When the Root Children Wake Up" by Audrey Wood. After the book was read, we all put on our coats and the led the children (and some of us adults) in a ritual taken from the Ostara book by Edain McCoy.

The children were each given a stick to tap on the Earth and we all repeated chants given in the book inviting the Mother to wake up and bestow her bountiful blessings upon us. Moving right along, everyone came in and warmed up by the fire while the dads distributed the Ostara eggs in the yard for a game of egg hunting. Meanwhile, I continued to work on the feast. The children were then led outside once again where they delighted in egg hunting (though there were a few grumbles about the cold!) Everyone once again came in and began to work on the appetizers of Deviled Eggs and Hummus with Triscuits while I wrapped up dinner.

Let the feast begin! For dinner, we had Broiled Salmon (in honor of the beginning of the Salmon season - usually in Spring), Roasted Vegetables and Couscous. I am working on a cookbook, so it is good for me to be able to use these parties as testing grounds for my recipes. A good time was had by all.

Prayer and Your Preschooler

April 2005

Prayer and Your PreschoolerPrayer. Such an interesting concept. Do you remember the first time you prayed? Do you remember when you realized there was something beyond you? Something intangible that you could not see? To be honest, I don't. I remember praying from a very young age, though I do not remember who taught me to pray. I have been praying with Noah on a regular basis. We give thanks to the plants and animals who give of themselves before we eat lunch and dinner (when I remember). And, each night before bed, Noah and I give thanks to the Universe for all of our blessings. I am not sure he is getting it. We speak of many things, of God and the Goddess, of the energies seen and unseen. But, does he get it? Only time will tell. Meanwhile, I will continue to give thanks and educate him not only academically, but spiritually as well.

No comments: