Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Camporee

October 26, 2013

Well, after a frantic 30 minutes of packing, my guys are off to the fall Boy Scouts Camporee. I realized yesterday that we are woefully unprepared for the cold that has descended upon Middle Tennessee. I won’t say this is early as many are saying. Those that are saying that are largely “not from around here” and don’t realize that we have this early cold snap every few years. Based on the cool summer temps and the amount of rain that has fallen, I was predicting months ago a rough winter and my prediction was confirmed by the recent release of the Farmer’s Almanac. Even more reason to get us ready. Today as I clean the house and prepare for another week, I’ll be making my winter clothing lists and checking them twice. Judging by the inability to find any matching gloves in the Sun or the Moon’s drawers I am guessing I’ll be stocking up on all new cold weather gear this weekend. As I sit here and stare out the front window on what is surely going to soon be a barren landscape devoid of green or even bright fall colors I wonder if it is too early in the morning to add Bailey’s Irish Cream to my coffee. What do you think?



IMG_1291

“Bittersweet October. The mellow, messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter.” ~Carol Bishop Hipps, “October,” In a Southern Garden, 1995

No comments: