Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Southern Spirit

November 13, 2013

Last Christmas my sister-in-law asked me what I would like to see with my name on it under the tree.  I had recently stumbled upon the magazine Garden and Gun and asked for a subscription.  My mother-in-law also purchased me a magazine subscription – to Mary Jane’s Farm.  As the year wore on, my time became more limited and I found myself devouring MJF but moving to Garden and Gun a little more slowly.

This week, as I was cleaning out my paper cupboard as part of my holiday prep, I found the April/May edition still in its  wrapper and sat down with a glass of sweet tea and read it cover to cover.  While I delighted in the fact that most that month’s focus was on Nashville, I particularly enjoyed the story about a man and his dog.  Here is a link to the story if you are Southerner looking around for a reminder of life in the South.  You might even enjoy it even if you “ain’t from around here.”  Good Dog:  King of Oxford by Jim Dees.

“That sinuous southern life, that oblique and slow and complicated old beauty, that warm thick air and blood warm sea, that place of mists and languor and fragrant richness…”  Anne Rivers Siddons, Colony

No comments: