Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Slow Cooker White Bean Chili

March 12, 2012
I awoke this morning to see the sun rising in the horizon and said a thanks to God for allowing me to see another day.  I hopped out of bed and headed to the kitchen where 2 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs waited for me in the fridge.  After rinsing the chicken, they went into a 5 quart dutch oven filled with water and boiled for an hour on the stove.  In addition to the chicken, I added salt, pepper and a bay leaf to the water to create a rich and healthy broth which replaces the canned or boxed broth mentioned in the chili recipe I am linking to below.
I am constantly trying to improve things here at home and getting me out of the kitchen will help tremendously.  So, I'm pulling out the crockpot and letting it do some of the work.  Here is a link to a great White Bean Chili recipe which is "what's for dinner" tonight.  As sometimes happens, we will not be sitting around together eating tonight.  I have a Board meeting and Noah has soccer and we will be going our separate ways as a family.  Actually, that's going to happen a few times this week so dinner needs to be really easy.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-chicken-chili-10000001875803/

This is a really simple recipe and I have made some modifications.  Instead of canned broth I am using my own and instead of canned white beans I am using dried beans.  Dried beans are much cheaper, healthier (no added sodium) and do not come from a BPA lined can. 
"The aroma of good chili should generate rapture akin to a lover's kiss." - Motto of the Chili Appreciation Society International

No comments: